We have so many great members on our team so we decided to start featuring them. Our hope is these features will help you get to know them a bit more, find people who run at your pace and in your area, and shed some insight on what makes MVS so great – members like you! In this issue, we have two terrific spotlights – one member who has been with us since 2021 and another who recently joined. Meet Yaira Nunez and Devan Peterson!
Yaira Nunez, Haverhill, Member since 2021
Yaira started running in the Spring of 2021, just before joining the Club that fall. That first year, she was running 5k races, just two short years with MVS later, she is training for her first marathon, the Chicago Marathon, this fall. “My goal is to finish, but I would love a sub-5 marathon,” she said. Her favorite part of the club is the people she has met.
- Relaxed pace range? 11:00-11:30 per mile, but a pace in the 10:00-11:00 range isn’t bad either
- Race pace? 8:00-9:00 per mile for anything from a 5k to a half
- Favorite song to run to? One of them is Move Your Body by Sia
- Pre-race pump-up song? Anything by Bad Bunny
- Favorite place to train? Streets of Andover and the Salem Rail Trail
- Your go-to running sneaker? The Brooks Ghost 14 or Glycerin 20
- Run you’re most proud of? Salem Wicked Half, it was my first half and my first time running anything over 10 miles.
- Favorite MVS memory/moment? Getting the Most Improved award from track. Running is still “new” to me, so I’ve come a long way with the help of MVS
- Favorite race distance? So far a half isn’t too bad haha
- Favorite SIRS race? New Year’s Day run has been fun
- Favorite MVS event? Track, of course! The coaches rock!
- Most binge-worthy TV show? Grey’s Anatomy
- A favorite film? The Notebook is a classic
Devan Peterson, Haverhill, Member since last December
Devan joined MVS after deciding to run a marathon. She was looking for guidance and someone recommended she turn to the Club. A runner since 2018, she’s now training for the New York Marathon and is loving the club. “I love the supportive, positive nature of every single member. I have been welcomed in and encouraged to join people on training runs and hosted runs as well. They are such a wonderful resource for information of all kinds. From nutrition and fueling, to training and footwear, it is just such a great atmosphere,” she said.
- Relaxed pace range? 12-13 mins per mile
- Race pace? 5k - 9 mins per mile; 10k - 10:30 mins per mile; ½ marathon - 12 mins per mile
- Pre-race pump-up song? Tubthumping by Chumbawamba followed by Cello suite No. 1 in G Major (I know, weird, but it really centers me and gets me focused)
- Favorite place to train? I like to train around my neighborhood because there are always hills and flats, so I get a really well-rounded run in no matter what. I live at the top of a hill, so lots of opportunities for hill repeats…
- Your go-to running sneaker? Cloudstratus by On Cloud Running
- Run you’re most proud of (and why)? My first half marathon I am most proud of because I had really just begun my running journey and I was not sure I could do it. I have always played soccer and sports, but running was just something I did to stay in shape for the other sports. I always loved it, but never thought it was something I could be good at or accomplish. My finishing time was very respectable and it showed me that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.
- Favorite MVS memory/moment? My favorite memory/moment is when Sharon Johnson complimented my running stride. The fact that people find ways to compliment and boost you up really just epitomized why I love this group so much.
- Favorite race distance? I like the 10k because it takes me a couple miles to get into a groove, so a 5k is too short for me to really feel successful.
- Favorite MVS event? This is a tough one, but I think the Stachey’s runs are my favorite, followed closely by the hosted runs.
- Most binge-worthy TV show? That would have to be Schitt’s Creek or Parks and Recreation.
- A favorite film? Stick It or She’s the Man
If you would be willing to be featured, please send your information to email@example.com.